This week went better than expected in many ways. I ended up getting the modifier work done fairly quickly and managed to squeeze a small refactor, breaking a ~1300 lines file into 3 files. I still have somre more refactoring to do to make things more flexible. Hopefully I can get to that too in the following weeks.
Porting went smoothly for the most part (sorry). The smooth linear modifier now has a start setting where you can define at which point the smoothing effect goes to zero. The new start setting replaces “minimum height”, since it can be used to achieve the same effect. The factor settings now take decimal values instead of being locked to 10 steps. This makes them a lot more flexible.
Radial smoothing now has a size setting that controls the radius of the effect. And the factor setting now works much better too. It takes into account the position of a height point in the radius when smoothing, no more nasty spikes in the center! (unless you choose a very small size of course). The only problem left to fix is that this modifier fails if the terrain isn’t square, but I think it’s going to be an easy fix.
I also managed to do some initial work on Thermal Erosion. Next week I’ll work on completing that (plugging it to the UI, polishing, etc.). And if I have enough time, I’ll tackle the white whale: Fluvial Erosion.